Change Started

India’s Plastic Waste Collection Statistics

See how some of the Indian cities are faring in terms of plastic waste collection

India generates 25,940 tonnes of plastic waste every day (TPD). 40% of this waste i.e. 10,376 tonnes per day remains uncollected. Plastic waste of only 15,564 TPD is collected.

Nearly one-sixth of the total plastic waste is generated by 60 major cities. The 5 metro cities being the major contributors –

  • Delhi – 689 tonne
  • Chennai – 429 tonne
  • Kolkata – 425 tonne
  • Mumbai – 408 tonne
  • Bengaluru – 313 tonne

Followed by Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Surat, Kanpur, Pune

94% of total plastic waste comprises of “thermoplastic” content which is recyclable such as PET and PVC. Remaining 6% belongs to the family of “thermoset” and other categories of plastics (such as sheet moulding compound, fibre reinforced plastic and thermocol) which is non-recyclable.

India had last year voluntarily committed to eliminating, at least, single-use plastic by 2022.



Add comment

Change Started


Change Started is a platform that covers stories, news, research, analysis, opinions, best practices from around the world on issues that are important for the environment. Through inclusive climate action, we can create a sustainable planet.

%d bloggers like this: